• 未分類

International Agreement On Forced Labour

After the Protocol has established that these proposals must take the form of an international convention, it obliges countries to ensure the release, recovery and rehabilitation of forced labour. It also protects them from prosecution for all the laws they were made to break while they were in slavery. Countries that ratify the protocol must ensure that all workers in all sectors are protected by legislation. They need to strengthen labour inspections and other services that protect workers from exploitation. They must also take additional steps to inform and inform individuals and communities about crimes such as human trafficking. Although forced labour is generally condemned, according to ILO estimates, 24.9 million people worldwide still depend on it. Of the total number of victims of forced labour, 20.8 million (83 per cent) are exploited in the private sector, by individuals or enterprises, and the remaining 4.1 million (17 per cent) are subject to state-imposed forms of forced labour. Among those employed by individuals or businesses, 8 million (29%) victims of sexual exploitation and 12 million (64 per cent) of forced labour. Forced labour in the private sector generates about $150 billion in illicit profits each year: two-thirds of the estimated total ($99 billion) comes from commercial sexual exploitation, while an additional $51 billion is due to forced economic exploitation of domestic work, agriculture and other economic activities (note 1). (b) as a method of mobilizing and using labour for economic development; following the adoption of other proposals to abolish certain forms of forced labour that constitute a violation of human rights set out in the UN Charter and set out in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and, in 2014, a protocol was adopted by the International Labour Conference: P29, 2014 protocol to the Convention on Forced Labour , 1930. The minutes were adopted by 437 votes in and 8 against and 27 abstentions (3 votes per Member State: one for the government, one for employees and one for employers).

The Thai government was the only state to vote against adoption[7], although it reversed its position a few days later. [9] The protocol requires States Parties to provide protection to victims of forced labour as well as appropriate remedies, including compensation, and to punish those who labour workers. It also calls on States Parties to develop “a national policy and action plan to effectively and sustainably crack down on forced labour or forced labour.” Yes! Indeed, most countries in the world signed the 1930 Labour Convention. Since then, new forms of forced labour have emerged, even more complex and difficult to manage. The protocol on forced labour complements the convention with new elements, such as the fight against causes, so that slavery can be eliminated once and for all. In addition, employers must use “due diligence” to avoid forced labour in their business practices or supply chains. For many governments around the world, eliminating forced labour remains an important challenge in the 21st century. Forced labour is not only a serious violation of basic human rights, but also a major cause of poverty and an obstacle to economic development. ILO standards for forced labour, which are combined with targeted technical assistance, are the most important instruments at the international level to combat this scourge. The protocol on forced labour will not end forced labour on its own.

You may also like...